Friday, May 4, 2012

I have a British Recruiter

Only two weeks left of being a domestic housewife in New York City.  My mother would be so proud to know that I can change my own light bulb and that I am the bug killer of the apartment.  This should come as a shock to most people because my usual reaction when I see a spider is to scream and run.  Well my best friend and room mate Ali reacts the exact same way I do.... I had to man up.

I have also learned some more New York lessons.  I am the type of person who smiles at you if I make eye contact with you... well turns out that freaks people out on the street.  So if I want to look like a tourist or a crazy person, then smiling at strangers is the best way to do it in New York.  Also, there are pigeons everywhere in the city.  I am still that person who timidly walks toward a flock of pigeons that are in my way on the sidewalk.  Then I jump, scream, or make a face when they come flying right at me.  After observing New Yorkers for a few weeks, I have learned the best thing to do is just walk right through them and they will move.  Also, when it rains in New York the sidewalks are like bumper cars.  Everyone is walking with an oversize umbrella and looking down, this means multiple collisions.

The most exciting thing that has happened recently is my new job!  Since moving here I have been on a couple interviews.  I was not looking for anything in particular but I knew what kind of environment I wanted to work in.  Before the weekend, I received my first job offer at a Legal Recruiting firm.  I still had a couple interviews the following week so thankfully they gave me the weekend to think it over.  Monday morning I went to my dream interview.  As soon as I walked into the office, I knew I wanted to work there.  Every person I interviewed with was someone I knew I would get a long with, and would enjoy working for.  I was there for over 2 hours, and the only moment I thought I lost the job was when the guy interviewing me found out I was a Yankees fan.  Thank goodness I was able to redeem myself by being a Giants and Notre Dame football fan.

As soon as my interview was over I called my British Recruiter.  Most companies in New York have you go through a recruiter first before you interview with the company.  What should have been a 30 minutes meeting turned into a 2 hour session with my British recruiter.  When he picked up the phone after my interview the first thing he said was "I thought they had kidnapped you!"  Believe me that sounds so excellent in an accent.  Within the hour I was offered the job as long as I was willing to wait to start until July.  That was not the ideal situation but this job was definitely worth the wait.  Once again, I was given some time to think about it.

The next 24 hours were pretty hectic.  As I was debating between the two job offers I was given, I received two more offers.  One was very appealing because it was at a consulting firm for non-profits, and I would start in 2 days.  So while I am calling my mother every 30 minutes to discuss my options, I am told I have one hour to decide on the consulting firm.  With 20 minutes to spare... my British Recruiter calls me to save the day.  My dream job that needed me to start in July... now wants me to start on May 21st.  Decision made.

I am excited to announce that I will be working for a hedge fund in midtown (if you do not know what a hedge fund is, don't worry I didn't either - go ahead and google it).  The office is beautiful and right on Park Avenue.  Plus it is a grown up job with a salary, benefits and a free gym membership.  I didn't realize how expensive gyms are here so I choose to walk everywhere so that is my form of exercise.  It will be nice to get back on an elliptical.

Since I do not start work until May 21st, I have some time to kill.  This weekend I will be heading to Boston to see one of my best friends.  Then next week I am going to take a trip back to Minnesota to see my family.  Plus I need to stock up on some work clothes and the tax on clothes in New York is much worse then Minnesota.

I am not sure where to go now that Bloomingdales is closed.... time to find a new go-to store!  Also, time to spoil my hermit crab a bit.  I am thinking a NY Giants shell, and maybe even a shell with some bling... he deserves it. 

Always,
Brooke

1 comment: